IMPORTANT DATES & INFORMATION:
The next LAAA Artist Membership Screening will be held
March 8, 11 & 12, 2014.
Drop off art & materials: (No appointment necessary)
All work must be hand-delivered on the required drop off dates.
- Saturday, March 8: 10a to 5p
- Tuesday, March 11: 10a to 5p
- Wednesday, March 12: 10a to 5p
Pick up artwork & materials: (No appointment necessary)
Notification of acceptance or non-acceptance will be available in letter form at this time.
- Friday, March 15: 10a to 5p
- Saturday, March 16: 10a to 5p
If accepted, information about LAAA membership will be made available to you.
As of March 2014, prorated membership dues will be $220.
Los Angeles Art Association
825 N. La Cienega Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069
OPEN TO ALL SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ARTISTS
Dates for membership screenings will be posted 3 months prior to each screening.
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION: RULES & GUIDELINES
- REQUIRED ITEMS TO SUBMIT:
- Two (2) original pieces of artwork created within the last 3 years.
LAAA will consider all media.
For further specific information – listed by medium – read below.
- Three (3) images/printouts of additional artwork, approximately 8"x10", labeled with name, medium and size, submitted in a sheet protector.
NOTE: For FIlm & Video submissions, three (3) additional videos, cued and ready to play.
- Artist Statement (150 words or less)
- Non-refundable application fee of $35.
LAAA accepts cash, credit card or check (make checks payable to LAAA)
- Printed out and completed Membership Application
- GENERAL INFORMATION:
- All artist applicants must live in Southern California.
- Applicants are responsible to lift and transport their artwork to and from the gallery.
LAAA volunteers and staff members will not assist with lifting or delivery of artwork (including heavy and awkward-shaped pieces).
- All submissions are reviewed by the exhibition committee and guest jurors.
- SPECIFIC INFORMATION, LISTED BY MEDIUM:
- WORKS ON PAPER & WORKS ON CANVAS:
- For the membership screening only, framed work and works on paper/canvas must be no larger than 5'x5' in either direction.
- No rolled canvases.
- Unframed pieces must be professionally presented in a portfolio, mounted or otherwise protected.
- Sculpture must be no larger than 4'x4'x4' in any direction.
- Installation work must be submitted in the form of documentation such as photos, DVD or USB flash drive, along with a sample/article from the installation, if possible.
- FILM AND VIDEO:
- Film and video pieces must be submitted on DVD or USB flash drive, cued and ready to play.
ABOUT LOS ANGELES ARTS ASSOCIATION (LAAA)
LAAA is a 501(c)(3) non- profit organization whose mission is to provide opportunities, resources, services, and exhibition venues for emerging Los Angeles artists of all media. LAAA began as a civic art institution in the 1920s, connecting elite art interests to Hollywood collectors, emerging after World War II as the center of Los Angeles modernism and finally becoming the city's nexus for emerging artists of all media.
Gallery 825 on La Cienega Boulevard is the exhibition arm of the organization. At this venue, LAAA hosts a wide variety of group shows, solo shows, lectures, workshops and artist talks. All LAAA exhibition opportunities are juried by regional and national (non-LAAA) art professionals, giving emerging artists access to the highest level decision makers in the art world.
LAAA programs include:
- Mentoring opportunities pairing young artists with established artists.
- Ongoing career preparedness and workplace readiness workshops for artists.
- Panel discussions with celebrated artists and art historians.
- Film & Video 825: Ongoing screenings of local and nationally recognized video artists' work.
- LAAA Artist Sponsorships for economically disadvantaged artists.
- Peer Review Groups: Ongoing artist driven peer-critique groups.
- Public Art Classes: Ongoing studio art classes for beginners and maturing artists.
- Ongoing international cultural exchange opportunities for LAAA artists.